Coconut Sweet Potato Soup with Smoky Lentils:
After skiing in negative degree temperatures this past Christmas, the idea of 40 degree January days would seem welcoming. However, 40 degrees on a damp day with thirty mile an hour winds just makes me want to crawl into a box and hide. Don’t get me wrong, we love the winter and all that it brings. From cross-country and alpine skiing, to root vegetables and game meats, New England is truly our home. But with bone chilling conditions this past month persistent like a nagging cough, it was time to enjoy a warm exotic soup nestled closely by a roaring fire. Coconut milk brings a feeling of spring into the dead of winter for this recipe, and was the secret ingredient and original source of inspiration. The addition of lentils and bacon for garnish brought a fine twist and offered a hint of smoky flavor. Serve with Croque Monsieur or simple Ham and Swiss Panini for a full meal.
SECRET INGREDIENT: Coconut milk
TIP: Undercook the lentils for a crispier finish
Coconut Sweet Potato Soup with Smoky Lentils
- Bacon (6 strips, chopped)
- Onion (1, chopped)
- Garlic (2 cloves, minced)
- Ginger (3 tsp, grated)
- Carrot (1, finely chopped)
- Red pepper flakes (pinch)
- Sweet potatoes (2, peeled and cubed)
- Salt & fresh pepper
- Turmeric (2 tsp)
- Chicken stock (2 cups)
- Coconut milk (1 ¼ cup)
- Lime juice (1 Tbsp)
- Parsley, chopped
- In a large pot over medium heat, add bacon pieces and cook until just crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon and set aside.
- In same pot over medium high heat, add onion, garlic, ginger, carrot and red pepper flakes to bacon fat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and turmeric and cook for 1 minute.
- Add stock and coconut milk, and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and using a hand-held immersion blender, puree soup until smooth.
- Add lime juice and season to taste. (If soup is too thick, add more stock)
- Serve topped with lentils and parsley.
- Green lentils (1 cup)
- Salt & fresh pepper
- In sauce pan, bring lentils and 4 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid tilted and simmer 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper, then stir in bacon pieces.
-- Weather When Posted --
- Temperature: 49°F;
- Humidity: 55%;
- Heat Index: 49°F;
- Wind Chill: 46°F;
- Pressure: 29.89 in.;